Friday, March 5, 2010

A Change of Course

In my last post, I spoke of the huge leap I was taking by attending OU and taking the pre-requisites needed for medical school. It was only approximately 2 weeks after that post that I had a change of heart. Through a series of events, I withdrew from my classes and have decided to take a small break. This, however, does not mean I will not pursue my dream of becoming a doctor. It does mean that I am restructuring my plan of action and reconsidering everything. Some thing I have learned as a result of my failed attempt at this semester:

My family needs me more than I realize. Even when I was trying my best to be present in the moment with the children, I found it very difficult to focus on them completely. I cannot let this happen in the future if and when I return to school.

My husband needs me more than I realize. The constant stress of school work held my attention across the board and caused my marriage to suffer as a result. Again, I cannot let this happen in the future.

OU was not meant for me. After attending a small, private, learning institution, the transition to an extremely large, public, research university proved to be too much for me.

In short, this semester was a loss. But it was not a total loss, as I learned some very valuable lessons. I will in turn take these lessons and not repeat my mistakes. In the meantime, I am planning two birthday parties and have decided that, while I'm not in school, I will devote my extra time to helping my husband with our business. I am excited to be taking a small break without the stress of school. I am excited to be reconnecting with my family.

No comments: